I wish I had…
- I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
- I wish I didn’t work so hard.
- I wish I’d had the courage to express my feelings.
- I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
- I wish that I had let myself be happier.
Paul points out that these regrets are all errors of omission - errors we make by default, making them very dangerous.
He has taken these and turned them around - from regrets into commands that he sees daily at the top of his todo list:
Don’t ignore your dreams; don’t work too much; say what you think; cultivate friendships; be happy.